Re: BOP / Really , Really Small

To: tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: BOP / Really , Really Small
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 08:56:17 PST
     Yo;

-Speaking of "1/2 engines", AKA the 1/2 389, who out there remembers the 1/2
V-8's put into early Chevy Nova'a, if my memory is correct, say about the early
sixties?

>From my automotive machinist/engine rebuilder days, I remember they were 1/2
>of
the "small-block" casting, with the same rods, pistons, crank, etc. of the
283-to-350 Chevy family. One of my fellow machinists had a "quarter midget" & he
said these particular engines were worth their weight in gold to the racers.
Every one of them in a junk-yard was bought up in a hurry. You could put in a
steel crank, and all the hi-po rods and rod bolts common to say, a 327 or 350.

I think they also used an 8-cylinder cam, of course only using 1/2 the lobes.
You could then still use a roller cam and all kinds of trick springs,
retainers, and screw-in studs like on the V-8's, but at 1/2 the cost & work. My
racer friend also said SOMETIMES "they" would cut down another 4 connecting rods
to match the rod caps & install a full set of bearings. The engine was then
re-balanced accordingly.(did I explain this last well enough?).

                            Phil LeBrun

Subject: BOP / Really , Really Small
Author:  Rick Fedorchak <Rick_Fedorchak_at_750@ccmail.gsfc.nasa.gov> at
~INTERNET
Date:    6/25/96 6:34 AM

Re:

engine">>>>>>

Hmmm.   _I_ sure don't remember PontiacTempests having a "215" v-8.  Slant
four, "rope" driveshaft, and transaxle,........ yes.    215 v-8.......???
But hey, if that's true then which did Pontiac use ? The Olds or Buick motor ?

features were
shared amongst "p" cars so it isn't incorrect to refer to them as BPOE
afterall" >>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed,  _IF_ you're talking about the "accessories" ( the transmission /
common bell housing bolt pattern coming to mind specifically ) and not the
engines themselves.  Buick, Olds, and Pontiac _engines_  are distinctly
different.

...... You'd need _ another_ four cylinders just to pull that weight around
! ..............   Hey, do all the go fast parts available for the 389 fit
in the 194 ??

package.  In a practical sense the Ford has far greater HP potential because
of the availability and lower cost of performance goodies (at least here in

Definitely.  Also I might add, practical from the standpoint of being more
durable ( good ol cast iron does have some inherent advantages ) and less
stressed due to another 75 to 90 inches more displacement over the 215.

Hey, has anybody put anything like a late model Nissan V-6 and 5 speed in an
Alpine ??

                                                    Rick Fedorchak