Re: Swill or Swirl

To: Tom Hall <Modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Re: Swill or Swirl
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 17:32:53 +0100
Tom Hall wrote:

...... The water/gas mixture enters the tank tangentially, is
> mechanically kept in a helical motion with possible increasing or decreasing
> tangential velocity, whereby the gas bubbles tend to drift to the center due
> to lower density and centrifucal acceleration. The top center of this
> chamber is somehow vented ...

You could be right, Tom, but my observation of our expansion chamber shows the
small tubing
that even collect the gas at the top of the end tank and returns it.  In
addition, even at
high rpm the flow thru the tank volume is not rapid, nor is the tank short, so
the bubbles
only have to rise the short distance of about 1/2 chamber height during the
passage.  Steam
bubbles have a lot lower density than the water, even under 14 psi (max), so
they rise
rapidly due to bouyancy, and don't need an hydraulic centrifuge to take them
out.  I think
they would be slung to the outside, anyway.  The major problem with the
operation your
describing is the "somehow" that allows the "release" of the air.  You need a
one-way air
only valve.  Don't really need to get the air out of the closed system, just
out of the
recirculating cooling media.  Could indeed be "swirl" over "swill", but I'd
have to pur that
in my "bonnet"?, or is it "hood"?, or is it "boot" and think about what makes
the English
name an elevator a lift.  Graeme gave us an address, but they don't have e-mail
so I can't
send anything (;>.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/