RE: Spin on oil filter REPLY to R Atherton

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spin on oil filter REPLY to R Atherton
From: Bill Cartus <Bill.Cartus@bridge.bst.bls.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 07:06:57 -0600
Richard,

When down in Orlando, I was especially conscious of spin on's vs the stock
hose device which you described. I would say the results were about 50-50.
Half the cars had 'em with the external hoses and half had the spin on. I
was curious because I had just rebuilt my engine and put the small filter
(spin on) on my car (partly because I bent one of the fittings so badly
and partly because it was always such a pain to change the stock filter
setup). Some had oil coolers & some didn't.

>From what I can see of all the Internet notes flying back & forth, there
seems to be a similar finding.. some like it & some don't.

As for the 'valve in the filter' issue, I too have taken them apart and
have not found a "traditional" valve. I am guessing that any reference to
a valve in the filter is simply referring to that rubber diaphragm thing.

Maybe someone will contact Ford and settle this issue once and for all.
Anyone have contacts???

Bill Cartus
65 Tiger  B9471131