Re: Cloth convertible tops for Mk1

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cloth convertible tops for Mk1
From: schotbus@mail.cyberenet.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 02:24:08 +0000
> Date:          Sat, 18 Jan 1997 18:30:05 -0800
> From:          Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>
> To:            tigers@autox.team.net
> Subject:       Cloth convertible tops for Mk1

> I have a MK1 (metal doors boot).  It needs a new convertible top.  So
> far all I have been able to find are the vinyl tops.  Has anyone out
> there in this group put a cloth top on their Mk1.  If so can you let
> me know what your source is (i.e. kit or installer).  I would like to
> get one with a zip out rear window.  I have been told that the cloth
> tops are too bulky to allow the metal boot doors to close properly.
>
> Any iformation would be greatly appreciated.   Currently I am running
> around with a butt ugly hard top on the car and would like to take it
> off for good!
>
> Larry Allbritton
> B9472723

Larry:

Tiger Tom & Sunbeam Specialties carry a top 'o the line canvas top
from Robbins (USA).  I saw one down at TE/AE United XVIII in Orlando
last October.  It was obviously of very high quality, but you pay for
that quality ($450 or so).  I've never heard of one for a Tiger with a zip out
rear window - think that's a Triumph/MG thing - but maybe they can
make you one.  Anyway, try TT and Specialties - they'll hook you up
and can probably advise on whether the bulk of the canvas will
present a problem for the MK1 metal boot.

Gary Schotland