Re: need to know

To: hjenssen@juno.com
Subject: Re: need to know
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:49:33 PST
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 06:13:34 PST hjenssen@juno.com (Herb J. Jenssen)
writes:
>The other day someone asked about a soft top. Which material was the
>best,should he try to put it on himself etc.
>I haven't seen an answer to his question.
>Maybe someone answered him alone.
>I hope so but I was waiting fo the answer myself.
>Please put the answeres to questions on the net so everyone can
>benefit.

I put my top on my MK1 myself, it turned out pretty good IMHO..
I used the crush grain cable style like original, got it from SS.
It wasn't easy, took a lot of time (most of a weekend).  The
big trick I think, is to do it on a sunny day out in the sun where
it can soften and stretch.  I only partially did this and it has
further stretched later.  Its  a little scarey because you must
punch holes to get the screws/rivets to hold it BUT thats
irreversible!  It IS possible to screw up, the guy that built my
Alger gave up and just sliced off the remains of a brand new
top in frustration, went and bought a hard top...

For the next car I'm going to use the "pinpoint" style which
seems to thinner and easier to stow.  Also I'm going to use
the "velcro" type.  And, the old car had three straps that I got
near original rubber coated stuff from an upolstery shop to
replace.  This stuff later stretched alot  :-(    Next time I'm
going without any straps  (I think they are there to hold the
snow up, which my car doesn't have to contend with)..

Gary Winblad