Re[2]: The quest for more horsepower!

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>, alpenv@rmi.net
Subject: Re[2]: The quest for more horsepower!
From: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 97 10:24:03 EST

       Reading the e-mail about the 351 installation brings to mind a
     couple of conversions I have seen that were failures.  The first was a
     small block corvette engine (283?) with auto trans in an Austin Healey
     100m! The Healey, from what I understand, was a rare model to begin
     with.  The owner had outlined the shape of a Cobra grille opening to
     replace the Healy grille. He wanted a cheap Cobra I guess. This was in
     the early 70's and the last I heard of the car, it had blown out the
     rear axel racing a Corvette.  To the junk yard it went. A few years
     later, I was shown the carcass of a Tiger where the owner had
     attempted to shoehorn  a 427 in the engine bay. I don't know if it
     ever ran successfully. Once again, to the junkyard it went.
 Recently, at a local British car show, I was shown photos of a MGB with a Chevy
350 replacing the 4-banger. The owner was still working on getting it driveable
and was checking out my Tiger for ideas.  This past summer at a Ford powered car
show, I saw a yellow Tiger with the fuel injected 5.0L engine from a Mustang
G.T. installed. I didn't meet the owner but it was apparent some surgery was
required to the sheet metal to accommodate the fuel injection unit. At least
this one was on the road.

Jeff