Re: The quest for more horsepower!

To: alpenv@rmi.net (mike veesart)
Subject: Re: The quest for more horsepower!
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:54:32 -0800 (PST)
At 06:59 PM 2/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Jim:
>        Thank you for your long, complete and, yes, entertaining description
>of the efforts required to put what is considered by many, the best engine
>Ford ever designed, into a Tiger.  I had to read your message quite a few
>times.  The first few times I was utterly amazed and the second few times I
>was merely flabbergasted.  Pulling away from the computer, I looked up,
>scratched my chin and used my best visualization techniques to contemplate
>the job at hand based on your experience.  After hours of serious
>reflection, I came upon a flash of realization largely based on my
>financial, mechanical, timelilogical, toolilogical and weldilogical
>limitations..................
>
>        Anyone out there interested in accomplishing this project?  I've got
>a 351 Cleveland for sale!
>
>        Jim, earnestly, thank you for describing modifications to your T II
>to fit the engine.  My opinion (which doesn't matter, anyway) is that the
>Tiger was the English manifestation of a hotrod and, well hell, there is no
>wrong modification when it comes to the quest for more horsepower!

Beg to differ, to some degree!

After 30 years of participating in this marque, I am impressed with the
capability of the original chassis to absorb and transmit gobs of raw
horsepower without frequent failures.  The ultimate problem is, after 30
years, is that those chassis who bore these high powered power plants, are
starting to show the ultimate signs of fatigue failure.  We have discussed
the common problems, including suspension failures, at length on this
channel. Those who use these cars for pleasures of horsepower enhansed
sensory delight, need to seriously examine their chassis structures on a
regular and routine basis.  Failure to do otherwise could be described as
dangerous to catastrophic.  Frame de-lamination in the areas of the
crossmember attachment points and cracking of rear spring mounts is now very
commonplace, and every owner should examine their chassis for these kind of
problems on at least an annual basis.

I'm sure that Jim has forgotten many of the minor repairs and
re-inforcements required to keep his car together.  Don't be the poor soul
that has to come in on the hook, or worse in an ambulance.  Know what your
driving, and respect it's ultimate limitations.

Tom