Re: did you that that?

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: did you that that?
From: rootes@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:25:51 -0800
Larry Wright wrote:

> I was watching TV a few nights ago, when this commercial comes on; still do
>not know what product or
> service they're pushing. Something about baseball, some guy w/a sign
>imploring the batter to "hit it
> here", as the fellow gets further and further away. At the they end, the guy
>with the sign is in a
> car, driving away from the camera in a small open car with small fins curling
>out over vertical
> elliptical taillights. Did I just see a Rapier, a Rootesmobile on TV? I
>checked Langworth's "Tiger,
> Alpine, Rapier" and found 20 pics of Rapiers, but all from the front.
>Actually, the car on TV (we're
> talking about 2 seconds here) reminded me of a late-50's Vauxhall, but I
>don't think they came as
> drop-tops. You tell me... (mebbe someone on the Alpine list knows?)
>
> Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"

Hello Larry And Other Fellow Rootesers:
I saw that ad last night too! I almost fell off the couch. That was
definitely a Hillman or a Rapier. I recognized the trunk handle which is
very distinctive in those cars. I think the ad was actually for Nike.
Didn't they show the Nike symbol at the very end of the ad?
Hey, maybe that was the new 1997 Sunbeam Rapier 600HP V8 twin turbo
we've been waiting for!!!!! (You know how the facory places new cars in
ads like that).

Steve Sage