Molten Derlin bushings mess

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Molten Derlin bushings mess
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:09:55 -0400
Hi all,
        The other day I stated that I was going to try to melt some acytel
(Derlin) into an old A arm bushing to replace the rubber.  Well forget it.
I tried.  I cleaned the inner and outer shell of a lower A arm bushing of all
the old rubber and rust.  I then built a Jig to hold everything in alignment.
I used a second outer shell above the one in the jig as a resevoir to hold the
initial unmelted acytel resin.  I heated the thing in the oven to 375 F
 (the previous days test of melting point).  The plastic was too viscous
 to run down into desired area. I took it out and attempted to press the
resin in with a wooden dowel.  No luck except for about 1/2 ".
 I then increased the temperature to 400 F hoping it would thin down
 and flow.  The plastic simply boiled out of the mold and from the
arid smell, it apparently had started breaking down.  I just wasted 2"
of Derlin.
Still need a source of lower A arm bushings.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others