Re: manifold and carb choice

To: joe brackin <joetiger@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: manifold and carb choice
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:00:48 -0700
At 08:45 PM 7/21/97 -0400, joe brackin wrote:
>I am considering an Edelbrock Performer with a Holley 1850(600cfm) carb
>for my rebuilt and balanced 260. Has anybody else used this combination
>and are you happy with it? Any clearance problems or any suggestions for
>a better choice?

Joe,

If you are speaking of the double pumper (and I think you are) that is the
exact set-up I have on my Tigger.  It is a real performer, but there are a
few things to watch out for.

First, you should look into a in line, dial-type fuel regulator.  Mine is
normally set at position # 3 for around town driving.  The PO said that he
used to dial it up to # 7-9 when he went auto-crossing.  The way it runs
now, I have not had the guts to dial it up that high yet.......   Second,
you will have trouble fitting an air cleaner under the hood.....especially
a stock bonnet.  Mine has a LAT style (knock off I think) hood and the PO
had installed the Edelbrock all foam triangular shaped air cleaner.  When I
took the car to a friend who speciallizes in LBC's he had trouble starting
it one morning, and in a nearly flooded condition the foam element caught
fire.....lucky he had a Halon gas extinguisher at hand.  The moral of the
story is go with some sort of a air cleaner that will not only fit under
the hood, but utilize a normal style filter.  I finally found a round one
that would work at Stupid Shops (sorry guys, just don't care for the
condescending attitude of some of the kids that work there) here in San
Diego.  It fits on the Holley with no modification and under the LAT hood
with just a slight modification to the wing nut for clearance.  It easily
accepts most stock 10" round filters.  Yup, I know that 12" or more would
give me better air flow, but no room ya'll !!!

Hope this helps and I think you will like the combination.  Consider though
that I believe that I am a bit "over-carburated" at this juncture.

Regards,

Allan
B9472373