Strange Brake Problem

To: tiger newsgroup <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Strange Brake Problem
From: Bob Reynolds <info@standard-knapp.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 07:19:50 -0400

The brakes on my newly restored tiger to puslated at during high speed stop
(interstate exit ramps) so I decided to have the brake rotors turned and
install a new set of Mintex(spelling) semi metalic brake pads.  When I
completed the job the car had terrible brakes.  It was impossible to lock
up the front wheels regardless of the braking effort or the the speed.  I
suspected that somehow the evil griling brake booster(not rebuilt) had
decided to quit on me so I removed it and bleed the brakes.  There was no
improvement in braking, but now the pedal effort was even higher. Next I
reinstalled the original 50% worn brake pads. When pumping the pedal to get
the caliper pistons back in the correct position it seemed like the master
cylinder wasn't pumping any fluid.  After about 5 or 6 pumps the "feel"
retuned to the pedal. This seem unusual compared to the brake jobs I've
done before. The brakes now seemed to work as good as they did originally
(with a little more effort).  Next I reinstalled the evil girling booster.
The pedal effort improved again and the braking capability was as good as
it was before I started this whole process.  The pulsating was also gone.

Even though the brakes work adequately now I am concerned that either there
is something wrong with my master cylinder (which I rebuilt during the
original restoration process) or I have a blockage somewhere in the brake
line.  Any suggestions???

Bob Reynolds