OOPPS! The Hot Motor Bit Again

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OOPPS! The Hot Motor Bit Again
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 23:18:54 -0700
OK Team, now that we have dispensed with all of the other stuff, thought
I'd bring up the slightly warm 260 issue again  (Oh, NO!!)

Anyway, (pay attention engineers, particularly the hydro-thermalconductance
types....) with this sudden rash of warm temperatures down here near the
border, my Tigger has been running a might Warm lately.  Gets up around
220-230 degress in about a half hour of driving with roughly 100 degrees
ambient outside.  Fortunately, NO expulsion of fluid, so according to the
best minds around here, I am technically NOT overheating....but if I fun it
much longer, I think I will.  Note that faulty (Fawlty?) non-stock and less
than accurate mechanical gauge has been replaced with a bit more accurate
stock gauge through the good graces and great charm of one Dick Barker.
Yep, I tested it with my Fluke and it appears quite accurate.

1) Cullen Bennet (or is it Bennet Cullen?? either way, I appologize....)
has suggested that he gets good results from a custom Aluminium radiator
built by a friend of his....anyone had a similar experience?  And Cullen,
if I order one of these $480 beauties from this guy, will it fit??  Current
radiator is three row (I think) with two tubes followed by one, and then
two again. The current radiator fits fight up next to the rack and
pinion....there just ain't no more room!

2) Acquaintances smarter and better looking than myself (yeah, but _I_ have
the Tiger!) have suggested that I need a thermostat with a higher rating.
That is to say that I replaced the previous thermostat with the same type.
Though the manual calls for a 195 degree thermostat, I replaced the old one
with the same 160 rated thermostat that I found in there.   Seems some of
these geniuses think that the water/glycol combo (50/50) does not get to
say in the radiator long enough to be able to adequately cool the
stuff....just races right through....don't know about this and would like
all opinions....expletives must be included with any reference to my family
lineage or breading.

3)  Finally, I am not looking for miracles: what I would like to be able to
do is to get the beast to run in that 190-210 degree range that Tom Hall
and others have indicated as optimum  (yeah, I trust Tom more than
Ford.....).  One final thing I am planning on is to convert the rear-end
gear set BACK to a 2.88 which I think is stock....from the current 3.63 (?)
 This in and of it self might make a slight difference in operating
temperature.....but the REAL question is, what do you all thing about
performance????  Will I still be able to make the kids driving the rice
burners cry, put thier hats back on forward and pull thier pants up where
they belong when I blow thier doors off???  Huh???  will I, HUH????

Sincerely appreciate your putting up the with annoyance of such innane
requests, after all, I know you all would rather be talking about TU and
goose poop....

All kidding aside, thanks in advance for your opinions and shared wisdom.

Regards,

Allan
B9472373