California Plates: "AGENT86"

To: alpines <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>, tigers <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: California Plates: "AGENT86"
From: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:30:00 -0700
My apologies if this is a duplicate post for anyone.  I tried to send it
earlier and it came back pleading "Host unknown" all over the place!

While getting the Mk II off the trailer after the autocross Sunday
afternoon, this guy comes over to gawk a bit.  He then announces that he
has a pair of California personalized plates I might be interested in.
They're "AGENT86" in the blue-on-white/reflective style.

I tell him I'm sort of philosophically opposed the the personalized
plates game because of the extra tax they impose . . . and I tell him
the story of the idiot running around Orange County with plates that
proclaim he's a "TAX REB" . . .  "No problem," he says,"'cause they
aren't currently registered anyway . . . you could just put 'em on the
car when you go to a car show or something."

I tell him we just got back from a RACE, and that we really aren't into
the car-show game . . . then, since he seems to be getting nowhere with
me, I tell him I have some friends who might be interested in them, and
ask what he wants for 'em.  "The first fifty bucks takes 'em," he says.

Yesterday top secret operatives of a renegade association of Alpine and
Tiger enthusiasts (RATZ) successfully accessed the California Department
of Motor Vehicles computer files and determined that AGENT86 is
currently not available.  You could not put these plates on your car.

Last night, I called the guy, and asked two key questions:  How long
have you had these plates?  and Where did you get them?

"I've had 'em four or five months . . . I found 'em . . . in a cardboard
box."

Uh-huh.

The guy's name is Rich Ward, he lives in Costa Mesa, and the phone
number is 714/650-2153.

Ramon