Rod Length

To: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
Subject: Rod Length
From: Bill Gegg <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:23:09 -0700
Bob Palmer wrote: I think a solid case can be made for
longer rod length in terms of reducing stress and allowing higher rpm
operation.

I have a difficult time with the concept of increasing rod length for
reduction of stress and allowing higher rpm operation.  With increased
rod length, comes increased piston speed with resultant increased forces
leading to increased stress on the bottom end.  Additionally the
increased piston travel, with increased rod weight seems
counter-intuitive to increased RPM.  Enough "increases" for one day.