Re: tire pressure

To: bradshaw@utdallas.edu, ritchie@mcn.org, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tire pressure
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:55:18 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-10 15:31:53 EDT, bradshaw@utdallas.edu writes:

<< >
 Nonsense, Ray!

        Looking up that redoubtable reference Hunter Thompson,
 in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" he did not get worried about
 time bombing his new Michelins on his Cadillac Convertible until the
 pressures were 100 psi each!!
 He'd hoped it would turn the White Shark into a Lotus Elan, .....
 it didn't, but it did skitter much better.

 mBrad

I assume that this is a joke.......I suspect that the tire manufacturers have
SOME clue as to the max safe pressure that should be used in the tires that
they design and make.
Sorry, but I have a friend who still can't walk due to an accident that the
investigation revealed had been caused by catastrophic failure of a front
tire due to an additional 15 psi  (aprox) that had been put into the front
tires on his car.  The tire may not have been perfect, but it was a name
brand (big time) tire.  I don't suggest that people take a chance like that
at high speeds.
Pumping up the tires, under certain circumstances, in an autocross may be OK,
but bear in mind that most events are relatively low speed events (yeah, yeah
I know some aren't), and the pressure is temporary.
Guys, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but at least start your
experiments in a conservative manner.
Best Regards, Ray