Re: Water Pumps

To: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Water Pumps
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-19 14:55:47 EDT, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu writes:

<<
 With regard to the effect of water pump pressure on heater end tanks: if
 there is a heater control valve on the inlet side of the heater and it is
 closed, then the pressure seen by the heater is only the low pressure side.

 Conclusion: Don't rev the motor to high rpms with the heater on.  Also, I
 recently overhauled a heater core which, like every one that's been in my
 car, was bulged on the ends.  The end pieces were designed to be
 strengthened with solder attachment in the center as well as around the
 edges.  However, in fact, the solder joint in the middle is usually left
 unsecured which makes the end pieces more susceptible to bulging.  A more
 careful reassembly could help this problem.

 Bob

Bob makes a good point.....perhaps a little better explanation than the one
that I made.  The end caps are designed to be solder strengthened.
As to revving the engine, I don't see this as a big problem.  The stock
engine is a dog anyway.....5000 rpm.....and I must admit that I don't recall
revving the black cars' engine to its' redline (8000 rpm) with the heater
on....but on the other hand, that was in Houston, where once a year an ice
film appears on a mud puddle, and the weather stations declare an ice storm.
I remember this discussion years ago in the CAT tech section.........my
question is this:  Is this a real problem with well maintained cars, or just
another Alar scare?
How about it guys?
Ray