Re: brake hang ups

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: brake hang ups
From: Douglas Pruitt <DOUGLAS.PRUITT@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 08:41:48 -0500
        When my booster failed all four wheels where smoking, but it would still
be my first culprit. Nothing vibrated on mine, just a lot of heat, so I
would have a good look at the left front. Are you losing brake fluid and
don't see any leaks? When it fails the booster will release enough so that
you don't notice it when driving but will leave enough pressure in the
system so that all the pads and shoes are still in contact. Disconnect the
vacuum hose from the booster and plug it (a spark plug or an unused
silicone seal applicator works well) and try again. The bearing seals could
be shot, so check them also. I have had to replace them because of a failed
booster and the rears from letting an Alpine owner drive the Tiger. He did
not use his hand brake and didn't notice that mine was on. If the booster
is bad it can be replace or bypassed. Someone makes a kit to bypass it or
you can do it with fittings from an auto parts store. Without the booster
the brakes will require more effort but after you get use to it, it won't
be a problem. Lots of Tigers are running around with no booster. After
disconnecting the vacuum hose it seems that much less brake fluid will
disappear. I suspect that the fluid leaks around pits in the bore of the
booster and when the booster's piston is not moving, the seals hold better
when it is still. I drove mine for a long time with the booster in place,
but with the hose plugged. When I removed the booster it was full of brake
fluid but I wasn't losing fluid at a noticable rate.

At 02:51 AM 9/21/97 +0000, you wrote:
>My wife and I went for a drive this evening and on the way back the
>steering wheel started to vibrate (more than usual) and chatter.  I thought
>I had a flat tire so Pulled over and smoke was pouring out of the left
>front wheel.  Put my hand on the rim it was burning hot.  I checked the
>rest of the rims they were also very hot, and I hadn't been using the
>brakes very much.
>
>So I'm assuming this is a brake booster problem, can anyone confirm my
>suspicion on this?  Thanks Armand
>
>ritchie@mcn.org
>Armand & Lorie Ritchie

Doug Pruitt