Re: California Registration Tags

To: Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: California Registration Tags
From: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:25:11 -0700
>I am going to write a letter to DMV Sacramento.  This was the suggestion
>of the lady at the local DMV office.  I am confused as to why they are
>considering the car a classic and even if they are then why penalize
>us with extra fees on these cars.  I am just getting kind of tired
>of all of these tax fees we pay all the time and still have potholes
>everywhere.
>If you are interested the address to write to is DMV P.O. Box 942859,
>Sacramento, Ca. 94259-0001.
>--
>Larry Allbritton
>B9472723

Larry,

The registration fee is related to the value of the car at the time you
register it.  Make a case for a lower value if you want to reduce the fees.

When I registered the Tiger they wanted to know what I payed for it.  When
I told them they thought my price was too low (they look in a book to
estimate value).  I had documentation and they couldn't prove any wrong
doing so I paid sales tax on that amount.  BUT, they assesed the value of
the car above that resulting in a higher yearly registration cost. To make
matters worse, when I argued that the car was worth only what I paid for it
because it needed restoration they said that they would use the restored
value for registration purposes!  But they were fairly kind with the final
valuation.

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        '97 Crown Vic LX
                       Yamaha Seca 900 (aka XJ900RK)
                       '79 Spitfire
                       1966 LTD