Re: California Registration Tags

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: California Registration Tags
From: DSand95510@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-26 03:59:19 EDT, BMcgu22954@aol.com writes:

> I bought my registration tags today for the Mk1 Tiger.  Cost me $128 which
> I thought was quite high for a 32 year old car.

> My question to the newsgroup is: Anyone out there register a Mk1
> this year in California and how much did they charge you for the
tags?.............

>From this and other recent posts on the Tiger list, it sounds like California
has jumped into a minefield and is attempting to charge an annual
FMV-determined personal property tax on older and 'classic' cars as part of
registration fees, but the rules for setting values are a hodgepodge.

Some posts suggest an average predetermined rate is being applied to all
cars, regardless of actual condition or market value, while others suggest
that the licensing agent has tremendous descretion to arbitrarily set the
value, or that the most recent reported sales price is being used.   Another
poster says the fees are still being calculated based only on the original
retail price (like most States do), but the wide disparity in registration
fees reported seems to contradict this.

Hey, Californians!  What's the score here?   Sunbeam owners and owners of
other  'classics' would like to know just what mischief your legislature has
been up to, so the rest of us can try to fight it if our own lawmakers try to
import it.

Dick Sanders
Seattle, WA