Re: Turning radius

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Turning radius
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:20:50
Steve,

This is the setup I've had on my car for the past four years.  I'm also
using one of the early quick ratio racks which mates nicely with the MGB
arms which, because of their length, tend to increase the steering ratio.
Besides the cross member itself, the limitation on moving the rack back
becomes the pulley on the engine crank.  Modification of the rack and
possibly some milling of the rack mount itself will allow you to move the
rack back 3/4" or more.  There seems to be a fair amount of variation as to
the "stock" position of the motor, but it is relatively easy to elongate
mounting holes and move the engine back 1/2" or so.  This may or may not be
necessary in your particular case, however.  Moving the rack back is also a
big help, if not a necessity, for installing big, fat aluminum radiators
(e.g., Ron Davis').  You might want to discuss these modifications with
Dale Akuszewski, who has done them on at least four cars that I know of.
If you want the ultimate, Dale will modify a cross member to accept the MG
Midget rack which is better than the Tiger rack.  I could still wish for a
tighter turning radius, but in every other regard I am happier with my
present setup than anything else I've tried, including the Lou Anderson
Ackerman kit (which did cut the turning radius about in half, but was a
real bear to turn).

Regards,

Bob

At 10:28 AM 12/16/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Bob Palmer wrote:
>
>> Steve, et al.,
>>
>>   Solution: Get MGB steering arms and move the rack back
>> 1/2-3/4".
>
>BOB,
>
>You've tried this yourself? Is it really do-able? Can the rack be moved back
>3/4 inch without hitting something wlse? Do the MG arms just "bolt" in
>place, or is a "hot wrench" and a come-along required?
>
>I know that  Doane Spencer "reversed" the front disc assembly on the stub
>axle carrier to allow straight track rods. This supposedly reduced the
>reverse Ackerman effect. (Seee Mike Taylor book), and planned for a quicker
>steering rack (higher ratio), and intended to modify the front crossmember
>"burying" the rack. This sounds as if he intended to move the rack forward.
>
>Are your suggestions and his compatible? If I moved the rack back, wouldn't
>I have to move the engine back to eliminate interference?
>
>Certainly would like quicker, lighter steering with no tire drag. Haven't
>seen it done on any Tigers, except for a rumored local kit that didn't go
>very far.
>

>--
>Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >
>B9472289              < one first love, and   >
>                      < one first win, is all >
>                      < you get in this life. >

>                         _/
>                    _/_/_/