Re: Lowering top on early Tiger

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>, <jfeit@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Lowering top on early Tiger
From: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 97 14:46:29 -0500

     When I bought my Tiger it had new top installed a few years
     previously.  The PO told me he could never get the top down and
     thought it might have something to do with the material on the new top
     being higher quality and thicker then the original.  I tried different
     methods with lots of pulling and tugging and succeeded only in ripping
     it.   I was pissed off to say the least.  Looking closely where the
     top was attached to the body, I noticed four flat aluminum brackets
     screwed to the body with the top trapped between the bracket and
     bodywork.  Removing the two pieces closest to the bow hinge loosened
     the material enough to allow the side bows to fold further into the
     body.  Now the top folded and the panels closed with no problem.  Who
     ever installed the top stretched the material too tight on the sides
     to allow it to fold easily. Check out photos of Tigers with the
     original top and you see wrinkles on the side close to the body.  My
     suggestion is to remove the side pieces and see if that fixes your
     problem. If it does, then loosen the material in all the brackets and
     the top should go down easily.

     Jeff