RE: Lowering top on early Tiger

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Lowering top on early Tiger
From: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:00:44 -0800
        >   Check out photos of Tigers with the
        >   original top and you see wrinkles on the side close to the
body.  My
        >   suggestion is to remove the side pieces and see if that
fixes your
        >   problem. If it does, then loosen the material in all the
brackets and
        >   the top should go down easily.

Exactly.  The top is supposed to be loose on the sides.  That's what the
flaps are for on each side--to take up the slack, draw the material up
tight when the top is up.

When I replaced the original top on the Mk I, I stretched the dickens
out of the material.  Man I had that sucker on TIGHT . . . not a wrinkle
anywhere.  Even left it up for a couple of weeks, sort of a
shrink-to-fit experiment maybe?  Then, the night before hitting the road
for Tigers United <whichever>, I couldn't get the damn thing to go down
into the compartment.  In looking at what was happening, it was pretty
clear that making it tight when it was up didn't leave enough material
along the sides for it to fold all the way down.  Undid it along the
sides and that was all it took.

Of course, when we got to <wherever it was> I found out that everybody
in the whole world of Tigerdom  knew you had to put 'em on loose or else
they wouldn't stow away right.

Ramon