Plates

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Plates
From: "Metcalfe, Steven M (MED)" <Steven.Metcalfe@amermsx.med.ge.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:15:34 -0600
We have all seen this thread before.  The topic alone makes me sick to
my stomach.  To me, this is right up there with some of the really bad
Internal Revenue Service stories you hear about.

I can personally vouch for how screwed up things are in CA at the local
DMV.  My Tiger is an original black car, and the previous owner(s) had
painted it light blue many years before I bought it.  They had obviously
removed the ID badge as the paint was light blue underneath it.  How do
I know it was the same car?  Easy.  There were plenty of areas where the
cheap blue paint had chipped off revealing a black car.  My logic was,
why would they put a color code ID badge from one black tiger to
another.  And no, it is not a black Alpine.  Aside from the fact a
friend of mine knew the car when Tigers were selling for $5,000 bucks.

When I took it to the DMV in Temecula, they weren't going to even
register it because they had never seen a "VIN" that looked that way.  I
just took it back a different day and voila, it was registered no
problem.  Then I moved back to Oregon.  No problem registering it there,
they didn't even blink an eye.

As I am contemplating a move to Washington, I have prior knowledge of
someone in the Seattle area having alot of problems as his tag was
removed during his restoration and his nightmare associated with
registration.  I can tell you, I will drive to the most remote DMV,
however many times it takes to to get it registered with no hassles.  I
believe this has spiraled far out of control past WHATEVER (if there
even is one) law or statute passed by the state or federal government
intended.

Steve
Steve Metcalfe
g   GE Medical Systems