No, not more about threads, please...

To: Tiger Network <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: No, not more about threads, please...
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:43:40 +0000
>From the January 1965 version of the Rootes Parts List, the crossmember to
frame bolts are 1/2" -UNF by 3 1/4" and all four are the same.

Also from the Parts List... "it became apparent during the war that there was a
need for a common standard of screw threads in the United Kingdom, Canada, and
the United States. The decision to adopt unified threads follows a series of
discussions between the countries concerned, at which agreement was reached
that the Unified Threads are of a mutually acceptable form, pitch, and diameter.
...There is a little difference between the form of the American National
Thread
and the Unified Thread as many of the A.N.F. and A.N.C. pitches have been
retained
in the Unified Series. The new threads are, therefore, largely interchangeable
with S.A.E. standards. They are not, however, interchangeable with B.S.F., and
although B.S.W. have the same number of threads per inch as the Unified Course
Series, interchanging is not recommended due to a difference in the thread form.

...It has been the objective of the industry to ensure that as far as possible,
all
nuts, bolts, and castings on which Unified Threads are used, are clearly
identifiable by markings..."

This is now Rande speaking/writing. The I.D. methods in the parts list are a
round
depression in the center of the bolt head, sometimes with a letter(for example,
R) outside the depression, and a series of circles in a row - three (000) on
two
opposed flats of a bolt and in line from the head to the end of the bolt. Some
of
the nuts with less flat area have only a series of two circles.

U.N.F. and U.N.C are abbreviations for Unified Fine Thread and Unified Course
Thread respectively.

Let me know if any of you want an illustration from the parts catalog for the
thread issue. I can handle those requests via snail mail.

Rande

No, Whitworth hardware is not used.