RE: No, not more about threads, please...

To: Tiger Network <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: No, not more about threads, please...
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:09:14 -0800
        Nice description Rande.  Interesting history on the thread and bolt
standards based on the Allied cooperation during the WWII.  Then Someone had
to throw METRIC into the mess.....  The Funny part is, how long it actually
has taken for the British industries to abandon, the British thread designs.
I used to work in a Triumph, Norton, Yamaha, and Bultaco motorcycle shop
where we had to have everything.  That meant tools for whitworth and British
standard (because the Brit bikes still used some of it, SAE for the rest of
the Brit parts, and Metric for the Spanish and Japanese bikes.  The hardest
part was finding taps and dies for the Whitworth and Brit Standard stuff.
And that was back in 1975!!!  God I feel old....I was 15 and that was my
first real job.  A mechanic.  Six weeks later I was the service manager.
The two other mechanics were fired for stealing money and parts, and the
Previous service manager was arrested for resisting arrest when they came to
arrest him for getting drunk and Riding his Yamaha 650 through his garage
door at 40mph...it was closed at the time!  over one weekend, I was the only
one left. So the owner made me the manager of the Service department.  Grew
up in a hurry there dealing with IRATE customers who found out that there
missing parts had been stolen by the previous mechanic!

        Life seems....somewhat tamer now.

Rich