Re: No, not more about threads, please...

To: rande@thecia.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: No, not more about threads, please...
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:49:42 EST
In a message dated 98-02-15 14:06:04 EST, rande@thecia.net writes:

<<

If you are a mechanical engineer don't bother reading the info below, it will
just bore you.

Some information that might be helpful to anyone replacing bolts on their cars
was passed on to me by a fitting supplier in my area.  If you always wonder
how much thread you are going to get on a given bolt, here is his formula:
The thread will equal 2 x diameter + 1/4"    Thus,  in the 1/2 x 3 1/4 "
bolts mentioned for crossmember attachment a standard bolt will have  2 X 1/2"
(diameter) = 1"

plus      1/4"

_____________
                                                                       total
thread on bolt        1 1/4"

Thus on a standard American Thread bolt if it's 1/2'" in diameter it will
always have
1 1/4" of threads regardless of its legnth.  And that is why you see short
stout bolts threaded all the way to the head and long ones only threaded part
way.  If the two bolts in question are the same diameter, they'll have the
same amount of threaded area.

This info is common knowledge to many experts, but it was a real revelation to
me.

Mark L.