Re: Under Hood Heat

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Under Hood Heat
From: RSpontelli <RSpontelli@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 00:12:31 EDT
>  Yup, from your description of "good", I understand your mood, if not your
>   science.  What the heck is a "bad" day?

A "bad" day is any day when something that you own that was functional when
the sun came up, is no longer so when the sun goes down.

>  O.K.," I'll 'splain it, Lucy".  The air intake, which is larger than the
radiator
>  cross section, directs the air to the radiator and, due to it's larger
frontal
>  area, increases the air velocity by De Laval's principles.  Remember, you
want
>  the radiator are, not the header area, compared to the
>   air intake cross section.

Who in hell is De Laval?  And why do we care whether he has principles?

>   As a practical demonstration, put your mouth over a small funnel and blow,
while
>   feeling the air coming out the funnel small end.

You put YOUR mouth over a small funnel and blow!  What ARE you talking about?
I thought we were talking about automobile radiators, horn holes, and coolant
barfing.  Did your parents throw ice water on you or something?

>   I am sure
>   you will find the pressure inside your mouth higher, and the velocity of
the air
>   coming out of the nozzle higher, than with a tube with a
>   similar large end diameter.  This is an extreme example, as the reduction
is not
>   quite that great, but it is significant.>

Sorry Steve, but you haven't "splained" ANYTHING!

>   high velocity air entering the front is allowed to pass
>   through these openings, INSTEAD of through the radiator.

What is this "high velocity air" stuff?  And, most importantly, what is it at
a dead stop/idle or slow-speed situation?

>  This
>   not only reduces the radiator air mass flow, but reduces the air pressure,
as
>   well.

Reduces what air pressure?

Steve, seems to me like the amount of air flowing through a car radiator is a
function of three things:

1.  The pressure on one side of the radiator.

2.  The pressure on the other side of the radiator.

3.  The "resistance" that the radiator offers to the flow of air.

I don't see no steenkin' horn holes in there anywhere.

I suggest that at idle, or a slow in-traffic crawl, you can plug those holes
or you can blow the front fenders off the car and it's gonna have diddly-squat
impact on the amount of air going through the radiator . . . no, wait!
Blowin' the front fenders off the car might help a bit!  It would certainly
"help" the cooling situation more than pluggin' those horn holes would!!!

I further suggest that at any reasonable highway speed, you can do the same
and the results will be the same.

By your analysis, this should follow:  I have two bedroom windows in my home
that face the South.  That's where the cool evening breezes come from durng
the summer months.  You and that De Laval dude would have me believe I can get
more breeze through one bedroom window by closing the window in the other?
Get out o' here!!!

>   I hope that answer's your question, which would better have been posed
before
>  you took potshots at everybody.

I took potshots?  At everybody?  Get out of here even more!  I took issue with
a thread that had relatively new Tiger owners believing they had to go off and
do all sorts of wierd things to their cars.  You call that a pot shot?  That's
insulting.  I hate pot shots.  If I'm going to take a shot at you, I'm going
to take a SHOT at you.  Pot shot?  Go on!  Get out of here!

>     >La-de-da-da, feelin' GROOVY!

Am I supposed to feel thrilled that you quoted and posted your resonse to a
PRIVATE message to the entire list?  Want to talk about PRINCIPLES some more,
Mr. Laifman?

Ramon