Cooling Idea #17

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cooling Idea #17
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:11:05 -0400
     I was poking around the nose of the Tiger last night, looking for easy
     ways to force more air through the radiator, when I had a thought.
     The Lower Grille Panel extends inward from the rear of the bumper,
     then angles downward toward the bottom of the radiator.  Two large
     holes in this panel admit air from the valence openings.

     With the horn openings blocked,  and if we also blocked these LGP
     openings, then we would have an almost sealed passage from the grille
     to the entire radiator.  The three leaks would be the two hood hinge
     holes, and a narrow slit between the bottom of the radiator and the
     LGP.  At speed, I would suspect that enough air could enter through
     the grille.  Stopped, the internal hot air recirculation paths would
     be minimized.

     Or, how about a flexible rubber flap or trapdoor over these holes?  At
     speed they would be forced open if the valence openings really provide
     more air.  At rest, they would flop closed and cut off recirculation.
     I had a similar scheme on my '80 Jetta.

     Has anyone had any ideas about blocking the hood hinge holes?

     Stu