Re: Spark Plug Wire Sets

To: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Sets
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:39:15
Allan, et al.,

I guess there's two factors to consider regarding spark plug wires:
appearance and functionality. Personally, I don't care for the bright
colored aftermarket wires like Accel makes. Just give me your basic,
unobtrusive black. Some brands do have optional colors if you're into color
coordination. As to functionality, you want spiral wound (inductive) wire
conductor, not carbon (resistive) conductor plug wires. Also, you want high
temperature silicone rubber insulation. Finally, I prefer 45 degree
pre-made connections at the plug that fit tight, but not too tight. All of
the above features are available from Ford for in the neighborhood of
$50-75. Each wire is numbered, plus with some Ford Motorsport or such
lettering on them which can be removed with the right solvent if you like.
Oh yes, I think they are 9mm diameter (at least 8mm) like most of the other
aftermarket high performance wires.

I haven't read any theory about the spiral wound wires, but I assume they
provide noise suppression while not dissipating the electrical energy of
the spark like resistive wires do. An engine running at high rpms benefits
significantly from increasing the spark energy, which falls linearly as rpm
increases. A dual point helps a little bit by increasing the dwell (the
charging time between sparks). I have run a capacitive discharge of some
type on my Tiger and various other cars since the late '60s. The MSD unit I
have now is the same one that's been in my car since about '86. I think you
will hear varying opinions, but I think they are great. You can get them
with rev limiters, tach output, etc.

Regarding the coil, some (American) are designed to run with a ballast
resistor at 9V and others (European) are designed to run directly off of
12V. I use just a normal output 12V coil with my MSD which puts out gobs of
voltage. You don't need a high voltage coil with any kind of CD ignition
such as the MSD.

Before you trash your Accel wires, check to see if they really are carbon
or wire. You may be jumping to a conclusion, although you might trash them
on appearance alone. Sounds like maybe you have a cross fire between wires
that's happening since you moved them. When compression goes down at higher
rpms it stops?? Could be this or one of several other choices. Maybe just
take the shotgun approach and replace wires, points, condenser, rotor and
cap. My Accel dual-point distributor uses GM points and Chrysler ('70 Dodge
383) cap. (A lot cheaper than the Accel parts.)

Good luck,

Bob

At 08:28 AM 4/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>What do you think about Spark Plug Wire Sets.
>
>My personal opinion is:  moderate to hi-end priced pre-made work JUST FINE.
>
>The reason I ask is that the PO installed ACCEL spark plug wires.....I
>suppose because they looked cool with some promise of X% increase in HP and
>or spark.  Personally, I have found them to be a royal pain in the ass!!
>
>For example, took the Tigger out a couple of weeks ago.  A day or two
>later, fiddled with the wires to check contacts with spark plugs.  Ran the
>car a few days ago and it now idles very rough and backfires when going
>from low to moderate speeds.  Hi speeds ar still no problem....runs great.
>Sounds like those stupid carbon element spark plug wires to me....whaddya
>think.  Would appreciate any and all opinions on this subject....besides, I
>have never really been sure I have been getting much spark off these wires
>anyway.  Important to note other factors: Accel Dual Point Ignition, stock
>generator and what appears to be a stock coil.
>
>Thanks once again for your opinions....
>
>Regards,
>
>Allan
>B9472373