Re: Wheel Balance

To: Bill Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Balance
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:08:59 +0100
Bill,

I haven't had my wheels balance on the car since 1956.  This is not a good
method.  The electronic off-car balancers are the only way to go.  Make sure
they use new weights.

Now, as for that vibration, your rotors just are not large enough in diameter,
or mass, to cause anything more than a bad judder when you use them.  You didn't
specify if this vibration changes with speed, has any particular frequency, gets
bad at, say 60 mph, and goes away at 75 ("But Officer, I HAVE to drive that fast
or it bounces all over the road").

I had a sneaky vibration problem on a few cars that did not turn out to be
balance.  One did not have ROUND tires (or wheel).  It was in balance, but the
egg-shape would shake you up and down.  The other was even sneakier.  I had
about 10,000 miles ground off, in case they weren't round, and nothing changed.
Turned out there weer some hard, dense sections of rubber in the tread that
thumped when they hit the pavement.  Round, balanced, and shaked like h--l.  A
local tread seperation can have similar effects.  Go about 90 to 100 mph for
about 30 minutes.  If the tread doesn't fly off the tire, that's probably not
it.

{8->

Steve
--