Re: Timing marks

To: Larry Rominger <LARRYR2@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Timing marks
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:33:30
Larry,

I am not familiar with the marks you indicate, but for the 289 motors I've
had, first of all, the timing marks are on the dampener, not the pulley. In
addition to marks at top dead center and every 90 degrees of rotation,
there are marks that indicate degrees for about 20 degrees BTDC. However, I
would not necessarily trust even the dampener marks to be accurate because
there are a number of ways for it to be off. On my motor I determined TDC
independently by sticking a dial indicator down #1 cylinder and marking it
on the dampener. I then applied timing tape (has to be the right length of
course) to the dampener to help me with setting the ignition timing.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but if it's a motor you expect to
have for a while, it's worth the effort.

Good luck!

Bob
B9472134, SHO, etc.

At 06:10 PM 5/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I set forth to tune the 289 engine in my Tiger and found that the timing
>marks on the crank pulley did not indicate either increments or TDC.
>There are five marks; two long marks on each end of the set, a medium
>mark centered between two ong ones, and the two shorter marks on either
>side of the medium mark. Does anyone know which of these is TDC and what
>are the increments between the marks? I know this is a stupid question
>but I am not at all familiar with Ford engines.
>
>Larry Rominger
>B9473280

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.