Re: tiger hard top /targa top

To: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: tiger hard top /targa top
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 21:33:38 EDT
Hi Jim

A glass rear lite is very doable...  It can be cut from a
70's Nova windshield.  There was a tech tip in the TEAE news
letter back when..  As I recall I ended up making my own curve and
shape templates and determing the best cut location as the tech tip
wasn't that complete.  Unfortunatly that was two moves ago and  I
have my doubts of finding any of the tooling now.

I manufactured about a dozen.. still have one in my hard top and
a couple of the rejects.   It took a bit to find an old craftsman at one
of the big glass shops in Boston who was willing to try cutting the curved
safety glass.  The project ended when he died :-(

It was a bit of an experment but it really had a high yield once
we discovered some "secrets".   It is a very difficult task to cut a
used windshield.  By the time it is in a junk yard it has quite a bit
of nicking / scratches / "work hardning" .  We were never able to
get a used lite cut down without a crack.  New glass was much better
behaved and actually not much more expensive at wholsale.

Getting plain glass was a problem  most replacement winshield had
tinting - radio antennas built in..  Try the spec windshield for
police Novas.   I did it in the early 80's who knows what is available
for Novas today.

                                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754