Re: Fraud?

To: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: Fraud?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 07:34:24 -0700
Doug, et Listers,

At 06:59 AM 8/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>and what if it was the Tiger VIN plate attached with the original rivets to
>the original tiger sheet metal and the rest of the body was fron an Alpine.
>Is it now a restored Tiger? Where is the line between restoration &
>counterfit?

I posed the same hypothetical question to the list recently myself. My
guess is the answer depends on whether you are asking in terms of State and
Federal Laws or with regard to TAC Authentication. My guess is that for
this case it would still be a Tiger in the eyes of the law, but would be a
"Conversion" in the eyes of TAC. If this were the situation with the Pebble
Beach car, then I would have to believe that no actual fraud had occurred.
But we're getting down to some mighty short strokes here.

Many (most?) Tigers have been repaired with Alpine sheet metal,
>are these "conversions?" Is fraud involved? Is an Alpine with Tiger engine,
>suspention, etc still an Alpine? If you sold it as an Alpine wouldn't that
>be fraud? I see lots of questions, but the answers seem to be more personal
>opinion than fact.
>
>Doug Leithauser

I think the rest of your questions/comments are, frankly, silly. I doubt
that anyone else on the list is confused about the correct answers in these
cases.

Bob