Re: reply to subjectless post

To: Larry Wright <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: Re: reply to subjectless post
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:37:57 -0700

Larry Wright wrote:

> Consider swapping out the cam in that thing; I ignored a warning to do so
> and
> _sometimes_ regret it.

Why?

> I'd take the advice offered about checking into
> alternative motors from other sources, but take into account that the FMS
> motor is new, not rebuilt; the others may or not be, I dunno

Most are rebuilds.  Especially the larger than stock sizes, and the ones from
catalog stores (PAW, Summitt) except for the close-out 302 new block-only.

> The rest of us might recommend lyrics; what
> rhymes with T** ?

How about S*** ?

> B) Apply Permatex (just a little) to the two parts to bond the 'stat to the
> housing, then wait 3 hours for it to set up. Drink more beer.

First, I'd drill a small 1/8 inch hole in the disc.  Not sure exactly why,
something to do with getting the gas out, but that's what the "big boy
professional racers" do.

Second, I'd use the Blue permatex silicone sealer, just a light film coat on
both sides of the gasket.  You will find it is stick enough to immediately
hold the gasket and thermostat in place while you bolt it on.  It also helps
seal the gasketed surfaces, and removes easy when taking it apart later.  I
like the 190 F Stant Stainless Steel "Super Stant" for year-round use.  Never
quite got why Ford and Sunbeam recommend a seasonal switch.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >