Re: Upper Shackle Bushing Removal Technique

To: "Dave Binkley" <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: Upper Shackle Bushing Removal Technique
From: "Chris Richards" <richards@northcoast.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:11:00 -0400
Dave-   Removal of shackle bushings.......Using a torch, heat up the inner
sleeve until the rubber portion melts, pops and oozes out.  Using an air
chisel,  push the inner sleeve out.  This would be through the hole in the
trunk.  After that,  air chisel the outer sleeve out.  Sometimes I split
the outer sleeve a little with an armor bit an my air dremel.

To install....I clean the outer sleeve of the new bushing and the inside of
the frame with an sanding wheel  (flutter wheel).  I ususal take it down to
the point where the press fit is not super tight.  I have a special press
tool that I built for pressing thess but you'll never get it into the area
for the upper bushing.  After pressing in the bushings, I mig spot weld on
each end.   This job is best done with the car on a rotisserie  (See-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5716/   ).

Chris in Trinidad