Re: Coolants

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Coolants
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:18:43 -0400
At 12:22 PM 9/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>     Since I'm getting close to pulling the radiator for some work, I was
>     wondering about coolants.
>
>     I was planning on refilling the system with the same old Prestone, and
>     distilled water.  A friend mentioned that GM now uses some sort of
>     orange coolant that is supposed to have longer life, and perhaps other
>     good properties, too.  Does anyone know anything about the orange
>     stuff, and if it might be better/worse/no difference for Tigers?
>
>     Stu
           We use fresh squeezed Indian River pink grapefruit juice here in
Florida, Orange juice is just way too common here.:-)
Sorry bout that, couldn't resist.

        I have seen antifreeze both in green and orange colored. I believe
that both were based on ethylene glycol.  The orange color changed to green
after running it a while.

        There are two basic anti freeze solutions, ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) and
propylene glycol (C3H8O2).  Streight propylene glycol does not boil until
about 350 degrees F. That may be why it is also used in brake fluid.

    Several years ago (197x) there were only two places making ethylene glycol.
That was the year that the price of a gallon of antifreeze went from $.79
to a couple of bucks a gallon.
        Propylene glycol will not kill your dog as fast as ethylene gylcol.
Both have a sweet taste that dogs like. (Clean up your spills for safty).

        The difference in antifreeze is the additivies and the advertisements.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others