Re: Coolants

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Coolants
From: "John Crawley" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:28:05 -0600
Just a note of interest:
I once had a friend that insisted that his new engine have distilled water
mixed with coolant so the engine builder had some distilled water delivered
for the purpose. After the engine had been run for a few miles it boiled
over. The re-builder discovered that the engine was full of goop. He asked
me to have our physics department analyze this goop because he was trying
to blame the machine shop for not washing the block out after it was
dunked. Physics came up with the analysis that it was mineral salts. The
water guy had delivered mineral water instead of distilled. They said the
engine heat and coolant caused the mineral salts to percolate out, which
caused the engine to over heat, which caused more salts, which caused more
heat, which . . .
Jc