Re: Coolants...

To: Don Cordier <doncordier@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Coolants...
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:25:45 -0700

Don Cordier wrote:

> RE:  Doug Mallory's comments about boiling during racing...
>
> While I agree that the gauge or something probably needs to be checked,
> do you know the altitude of the track where Doug was racing and the
> pressure device on the radiator - if any.
>
> I do not know the boiling decrease (off the top of my head) of water
> with decreasing atmospheric pressure but this may have been a factor???

> Don Cordier

Don,

You would be absolutley correct, except for the pressure cap, which is a
least 13 psi.  Now this is 13  psi over whatever the atmospheric pressure
is, so it does vary with altitude, but we are talking 3 or 4 psi lower
than sea level at anyt place anyone would want to live.  In Denver, coffee
isn't scalding, or really hot, but you wouldn't want it in  your mouth at
boiling.

Could give exact fromulas, but doesn't change the issue - the gauge is
wrong, and most people are bored out of their minds with formulas.

A psychometric table is available in any good scientific reference, for a
graphical solution, rather than a bunch of calculations, but it sure is
ugly. I'll send the stuff to you, if you really want it.

Steve

                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/