FW: Bar Exam

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Bar Exam
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:00:04 -0500

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333

 (originally sent to Tiger List 09/18/98, didn't know we were
 have trouble with outgoing messages, so here it is again...)

 Mike Wood wrote:
  "If you are serious about the subject, have a competent shop
  weld up a bar
  which has at least five, preferably six, contact points."

  ...or just stay home. Or, better yet, send a subscribe
  message to Volvos@majordomo, where they don't drive cars with
  fuel tanks in the tailfins. :-)

  Mike's absolutely right about the proper amount of
  protection-- for a SCCA or SVRA car, or a serious 'canyon
  racer'. For the rest of us, roll bars will be, like all
  designed products, a compromise. Factor in issues like safety
  (could _any_ roll bar have saved Aryton Senna?), convenience
  (like can you put up the top? Even on a Mk1? Will it clear a
  hard top?), weight, cost and appearance (a full cage doesn't
  do much for the car's lines), and each of us would pick
  something somewhat different as ""ideal". There's gotta be
  some middle ground between a tin-foil "show bar" and a NASCAR
  cage, eh?

  Brad wrote:
  "I saw Larry's nice chrome roll bar"

  Thanks; wish I could take credit for it. No Mk1A or MkII
  owner would have a use for the "folding" feature, but at
  least I can put up the top on the Garage Queen w/out
  unbolting the "boot doors". The assembly is pretty _stout_;
  IMHO, I have some protection in case of a moderate-speed mishap.

  "Anyone do the double hoop?"

  Like the ones I've seen on Miatas and BMW Z3's? Neat idea,
  and unlike the one shown at
  http://www.corpdemo.com/tiger/pictures/atbraden.jpg, it would
  leave a clearer view out the rearview mirror (another design
  compromise). And, better yet, Jeff wrote:

  "Tiger Technologies isin the process of prototyping and costing
  out a double hoop roll bar for
  Mark 1As and Mark 2s (Sorry, Mark 1 owners). "

  Bravo! BTW, considering attachment points for shoulders belts?

 " The piece will be available in
  either chrome or powdercoat black and will include a
  longitudinal bolt on
  bar running from the center of the hoop to a chassis point
  on the far right
  corner of the passenger footwell. "

  Will the bar attach to the left or right hoop? Having trouble
  visualizing...

  John Crawley wrote:

  "If you install a roll bar watch the back of your head in a
  rear-ender. Lots
  of padding will help prevent headaches."

  Not only in rear-enders; I drive with the seat
  all-the-way-back, and if hard acceleration pulls my head
  back, SMACK! The pivot bolts for the Y-shaped rear strut are
  fortunately directly in line with the centerlines of the
  seats; I'm thinking that some fabricated clevis-type brackets
  put there would allow installing some little round pads (I
  have some red leather left over) to act as head rests.
  However, I think the racer-types will tell you that in a
  rollover, your head goes all over the place, so padding the
  whole bar is safer, even if it looks barfulous. And I don't
  have that much leather.

  James Barrett wrote:

   " I found this problem when I was installing my bar and I
  broke it in two."

  What can one say, but OH SHT? Could you share the name
 brand with us?

  BTW, would engineers driving Tigers need extra-tall roll bars
  to clear their heads?  :-)