Re: Fwd: American Racing Libre Wheel Caps

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: American Racing Libre Wheel Caps
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:05:30 -0700

MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

> Sorry John, I don't know of a source for the Libre caps, but do have a
> question about the wheels. Does anyone know what sizes the rims were made in
> that would fit a Tiger application? I seem to remember seeing them in either a
> 13X6.5" or 7". Were they also made in 14" sizes (I think so, because I seem to
> recall SCCA 240Zs running them). Also, while on the American Racing thread,
> were the 8-spokes ever made in a size bigger than 13X5.5" in a Tiger bolt
> pattern?
> I think both are really good looking, period correct wheels for a Tiger
> "restification".
> Mike
> B382002273

I have a set of 8 spoke American Racing wheels that were supplied by the
original
dealer.  They are the same as Larry Reed used in his racing pictures.  Had a
choiice of hexagonal (original) or knock-off caps that actually screwed on the
threaded wheel hubs.  Set screw to hold them on, as they were all right hand
threads.  These are 13 inch wheels with 4 1/2 inch rims and a 1/4 inch negative
offset.  The front wheels are mounted with a 1/4 inch spacer, and the lower
front
of the fender is rolled under to keep the 185/13's from scrubbing.  Rears need
fender lip/wheel well "cleaning up" to prevent side-wall scrapes on bumps.
These
are fairly typical mods for using those size tires.  15/13's would probably fit
better, and look like an Alpine that you could put your fist in between the
wheel
lip and tire.  These wheels were not made only for the Tiger, and were available
in a range of bolt circles, rim widths, and offsets.  Probably hard to find now.
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/