Rod length and oil additives

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rod length and oil additives
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:47:01 -0500
Hello all,

Some of you might remember the discussion on connecting rod length and
horsepower.

I wrote to several NASCAR engine builders who build the Ford engines as
well as Ford Motorsports about the relationship of rod length to power (all
other things being equal), and this is a condensation of the replies.

Longer rod length = less piston side load + better angularity of thrust to
crank pin.  Less piston side loading = less friction + less wear.  Less
friction + better angularity of thrust = greater power.  The estimate
differs engine to engine, but it is significant, and INCREASES in
effectiveness as RPM increases.

Oil additives:  Many of you have, no doubt used various additives and have
come to the conclusion that they really have no effect.  The following may
be of interest:  Last summer, I drained the oil from my lawn tractor, and
put in a measure of left over Slick 50 with the oil.  I had observed a
slight decrease in oil temp in various cars that I own with the stuff, and
thought that an air cooled engine might also benefit.  Little was I to know
how much!

About 50 hours of operation later, I again drained the oil.  This time I
was interrupted by an urgent honey-do.

Forgetting that I had not put in more oil, I climbed aboard the mower (like
an idiot...) and cranked it up (I should have noticed the drain plug
concealed in plain sight on the hood...).

After mowing over half of a 1 1/2 acre back yard, I remembered that I
hadn't put in the oil.  Denial wrestled with memory.  Could I really be
that stupid?  The mower was running normally...no overheating or funny
noises...?!?

Well, the mower was empty....really empty!!!!

I refilled the mower and have continued to use it.  There has been NO
apparent ill effects.

Regards,

Ray

I drove the a