[Fwd: Stopping Power]

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Stopping Power]
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:39:44 -0700
--------------7F86FF911B7417CF66A6B3BD

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:38:51 -0700
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stopping Power

Jay Laifman wrote:

> Steve Sage wrote:
>
> > I changed the front pads on my Series V Alpine to the Kevlar pads from
> Dale a
> > few months ago. ..... No more brake fade and much more positive braking.
> [SNIP]
> >I'm convinced that the accident I had in my Tiger a few years ago would
> not
> > have happened if I'd had these pads on at the time.
>
> What a dilemma.  Spend more on Kevlar pads and wear out rotors faster.
> Unfortunately, I understand that there are no new or NOS left anymore
> (didn't someone say that the new ones available are not built properly?
> Ramon I think).  Or, risk worse brakes.
>
> I have actually found that my brakes pull the car to a stop pretty darn go
> - as long as the rear drums are adjusted well.  But, then I have not done
> any R&T 0-100-0 tests.  Maybe that should be a new race for our car events.
> Of course the 100 might have to be dropped a bit - or we may need to borrow
> the LAX runway instead of the Big Bear strip!
>
> Jay

Hello Rootes Group:
I don't think the question is if Alpine and Tiger brakes work OK in ideal
conditions, as they do. The question I am addressing is how do they work in
real world conditions, repeated stop and go and stopping and panic stops to
avoid accidents. In these cases, the standard setup does nowhere near the job
safety requires, and this is from real world experience in driving Alpines and
a Tiger as everyday transportation for pretty much the last 33 years. I'll
happily accept a bit faster rotor wear, if this is actually a result of using
the Kevlar pads ( which I don't know that it is) over getting in a crash any
day of the week.

Steve Sage

--------------7F86FF911B7417CF66A6B3BD--