lift a dot fix

To: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lift a dot fix
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:44:21 -0800 (PST)
>I have a couple questions, is there a "oversized" lift dot stud? Or
>perhaps one with a fine thread machine/lock nut combo?   The passenger
>side male connector that holds the tonneau cover/softtop in place has
>come loose.  It is a coarse thread, screw in type, and frankly was
>always stressed even before the restoration.  I am looking for
>suggestions, because the coarse screw threads are not biting into the
>sheet metal.

Bill, I replaced my lift a dot stud with one from the demister bezel that
has fine threads and put a nut underneath. This was the stud right adjacent
to where the door latch is.  It was a fun trying to get the nut on because
there wasn't enough clearance to get my hand in there, so I used a small
diameter piece of clear vinyl tubing that had a curve already in it from
being on a roll.  The nut just fit in the end of the tubing and I was able
to snake this around and into place through the side cover for the soft
top, so I could screw in the stud.  The only drawback was I couldn't get a
washer on but it still tightened fine and is still in place after a year.
 regards
Armand Ritchie
B9470219

ritchie@mcn.org