Re: Mech. vs. Hyd. lifters

To: "Waybright, Stephen" <Stephen.Waybright@compaq.com>
Subject: Re: Mech. vs. Hyd. lifters
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:36:27 -0800
Stephen,

I have solid lifters with Crane roller rockers and stock valve covers and
adjusting them is, relatively speaking, a "piece of cake". I've also heard,
as Bob Horwitz confirms, that you have to drop the engine some to get
aluminum valve covers on and off. I wonder if it's only the left side that
is a problem; if so, maybe something could be done to get a little more
clearance there. On the other hand, taking out the six bolts needed to drop
the engine isn't that big a deal is it?

I'm curious about Chris' comment about the roller lifter going flat;
especially "Roller followers roll back and forth and develop a flat spot".
Why do the go back and forth Chris? And since they use them on the high
output 5.0L engines, I'd expect them to last a bit longer than 20-40,000
miles. Also, I think any standard hydraulic lifter can be used to well over
6000 rpm. There are the "anti-pumpup" type, but if you only tighten them a
1/4 turn past zero lash, I believe it has the same effect. The real
determinant of rpm limit is the valve spring closing force.

Although I've never actually used them myself, I've been very impressed
with the roller cam engines I know about and have driven. Seems you can get
better breathing with less duration, which makes them work much better over
the whole rpm range. Otherwise, I think you're stuck with a solid lifter
cam to get the power you're after.

Good luck with the project,

Bob

At 04:53 PM 11/13/98 -0600, you wrote:
>All,
>    I'm looking for opinions on pros/cons of solid lifters in the Tiger. I'd
>rather have the benefits of maintenance free operation and roller followers
>with a hydraulic cam, but I'm shooting for 350 - 400 HP (flywheel) and the
>best way there may be a solid lifer setup with rev capability above 6000rpm.
>FYI, I'll be converting to a T-5 transmission and multi-link coil over rear
>suspension to manage the power.
>
>I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who's adjusted their
>solid lifers and have the aluminum "Tiger" valve covers, since I plan to
>install these as well. Is this job possible without significant gymnastics /
>engine movement???
>
>Stephen Waybright

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com