Re: Hard top storage ideas?

To: Kevin Meek <kevnmeek@netcom.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hard top storage ideas?
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:33:32 -0800 (PST)
>I'm trying to organize my garage to the point where I can
>actually get a car in there to work on it.  As part of that
>project, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a clever
>way to store a hardtop; either against the wall or at ceiling
>height?  I had my hardtop sitting on a platform suspended
>from the ceiling with it's front supported from hooks set
>into the wall.  This works, but takes up a lot of space...
>Kevin Meek (kevnmeek@netcom.com)         Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1A
>Santa Cruz, California                  Sunbeam Alpine S3 GT

Hi Kevin, I did a drastic thing with my top.  Actually I have two tops, one
is just a shell.  The other is complete and came with our tiger when we
bought it.  Anyway I hung them on the wall like a picture.  What I did was
opened the rear popout windows and ran a strong rope through one window and
out the other.  I slid on pieces of heater hose where the rope contacts the
top.  Then I tied a loop in each end of the rope and pounded in two big
nails at the top of the wall and hung the rope from the nails..  The tops
hang vertically on the wall and take up very little space.  If you want a
pic let me know.  regards Armand

PS  this puts a lot of pressure on your side window seals where the rope
contacts them(the weight of the entire top rests there) so you may want to
remove the seals if they are new or in good shape.  mine were shot so I
didn't care, I will replace them at a later time.

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie