Re: [nc-ax] 1999 Double Drivers school

To: laifman@flash.net, rdmallory@earthling.net
Subject: Re: [nc-ax] 1999 Double Drivers school
From: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:29:07 PST
Tigers,

I joined the South Florida region, which entitles you to join in all
their fun and games for an extra $35.00 bringing the total to $60.00.  I
receive the local newsletter, which is very informative for local
events, classified ads, etc.  .  Discounted Autocross, Solo I event and
local track time fees, and full medical coverage if you are injured
during a sanctioned event are covered.

I am a regular volunteer,working flags and communications for SCCA
events, and that has two benefits.  Full access to the whole track
during TransAM, WSC, FIA sportscar races, plus, our region banks
volunteer hours for lap time during schools, test days and practice
sessions for regional races.  With your membership you also receive the
Sportscar magazine, a national publication that highlights all SCCA
amatuer (btw, there was a great shot of Tom Patton's Tiger in the
runoffs in the last issue) and pro racing, rally and solo activities
around the U.S.

I highly recommend taking the SCCA school(s) for anyone interested in
performance driving.  They are designed to introduce any driver to the
rules of road racing, basic car handling physics, and then follows this
up with seat time.  Normally, you must either provide your own car that
conforms with the General Competition Rules and your class rules (this
should be teched by a steward prior to entering this school) or rent a
car from a reputable race shop.

These regional schools are different than the Professional driver's
schools offered by Road Atlanta (Panoz), Skip Barber, Jim Russel, and
Derek Daly who offer a complete package, car, driving instruction, track
time.  These start at $1990.00 (Panoz) and shoot up in price from there.
You should verify with the school (professional or SCCA) that you will
receive a 1st level (we call it a Regional license) competition license
before you waste your time.   In all competition schools you must
provide your own personal safety gear, including Snell approved helmet,
SFI rated fire suit, gloves, socks, shoes, etc.

This is not a paid announcement only a personal endorsement.

Happy holidays,

Bill Lawrence