Oil Lines and NACA Ducts

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Lines and NACA Ducts
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:07:44 -0500
     A couple comments on this weekend's topics:

     OIL LINES:  Because I'd heard several stories of oil pressure gauge
     line failures, I decided to replace mine a couple years back.  I used
     a white nylon tubing kit.  It had a lot of extra tubing so you can
     actually get the gauge out to make the connections, or disconnection
     later.

     When I went to remove my old line, it CRACKED into several pieces as I
     was pulling it out.  It's service life has definitely expired.  If you
     have not replaced yours, do so ASAP.

     I'm not sure about copper in this application.  Sure, it can hold the
     pressure when new, but copper does not like to be flexed too much, and
     will readily fatigue, and fail.  I'd be concerned about vibration, and
     the relative motion between the engine and body.  If I were doing it
     again, I'd use the SS braided hose kit.

     NACA DUCTS, etc.  A couple years back I did an experiment with airflow
     around the rear of the hood.  I held the hood open a couple inches
     with a block of wood, and attached tufts of yarn around the rear edge,
     and partway down one side.  I then hit the highway.

     At the center of the hood, behind the air cleaner, not much was
     happening.  At the corners, and partway down the side, air was
     positively blasting out of the gap.  Some of the tufts along the side
     were being blown out at nearly 90 degrees to the direction of travel.
     So I would guess that those NACA ducts in the LAT hoods are in just
     the right place.

     Stu