Re: Kamm Tail?

To: tjordan@wagnerprocess.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kamm Tail?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:11:04 EST
In a message dated 1/18/99 9:01:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tjordan@wagnerprocess.com writes:

<< In my readings and research on the LeMans Tiger Coupes, there are repeated
 references to a "Kamm Tail".  Would you care to enlighten a "Greenhorn" as
 to the history of this term and a description of the "Tail".  I have also
 noticed the term used when referring to other marques.

Tim-
While my answer will likely have many gaps which others can fill in, I can
tell you the basics behind a "Kamm tail".
Kamm refers to the aerodynamic engineer (or whatever they are called, I told
you there would be gaps in this story...) who is credited with exposing the
aerodynamic benefits of having an abrubt "chop" to a shape. His first name
might have been Frederich or Emile, I don't know.
Anyhow, disrupting the air flow at the back of an automobile by creating an
abrubt termination of the flow path of surface air makes the car more
slippery, or something like that. Many manufacturers have put the theory to
work to "clean up" older designs. The first that comes to mind is the late
'60s Alfa spiders, where they went from the graceful and beautiful Duetto
"boat tail" to the hinky, Kamm tailed 1750 Spider in 1970.
Mike