Re: Kamm Tail?

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Kamm Tail?
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:03:46 -0800
The Kamm Back was first used, in my memory, in the Le Mans
coupe designs.  You'll find versions in Cobra, Ferrari, even
our Sunbeam Tiger Coupes have a partial Kamm Back.  The
original 'best" design for a rear tail, in order to prevent
the streamlines flowing over the hood, windscreen and top
from being severe vortexes at the rear, was a VERY long
tapered tail, much like an airplane wing.  Cars were made
like this.  Kamm tried out a vertical dock of this shape and
found almost identical drag without the weight and ungainly
length of a true wing section..  Lift was easier to avoid,
as well.

If you recall the Mustang Mach I fastback of the late 60's,
or even the '67 Mustang fastback, you'll see the commercial
version of this concept.  The rear window was almost
horizontal.  Wonder it could be seen through at all.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >