Re: Brake Booster

To: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie), tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Booster
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:01:18 -0800
Armand, et Listers,

I love the humor guys, but have to correct the mistake regarding the affect
of the size of the master cylinder bore on stopping power. (Jay, perhaps
you'd like to recapitulate this subject for us as it was discussed a few
months back.) The bottom line though, the smaller the master cylinder bore,
the greater the hydraulic pressure for a given pedal pressure. BTW, I drove
my Tiger for fifteen years with no booster. Now have the early 7" type. The
required pedal pressure is strongly affected by brake material type and
temperature. I find being able to modulate the brakes with a very
comfortable application of foot pressure to be very helpful in conjunction
with using my right ankle to modulate the throttle for downshifts. Just my
version of "heel and toe". My last hold on manhood in this regard is the
3/4" Alpine clutch master cylinder driving the heavy duty McCleod clutch.
When I install the Centerforce clutch next time around, this last pretense
of machismo will vanish.

Bob

At 08:44 PM 1/22/99 -0800, Armand & Lorie Ritchie wrote:
>>What with you pansies on the coast.  Too much tofu and bean sprouts.
>>
>>Most  owners in the Midwest have long ago bypassed their boosters.
>>Curt Bowland and Larry Marzano who are racing VSCRA run without
>>the booster.  When my booster failed I drove without for 6 months and
>>liked the firm feel.
>>
>>Yes you have to use you right foot a bit more.
>>
>>Doug Jennings in Dayton recommends switching to rear wheel cylinder
>>from the stoock tiger 3/4 in to the Series III Alpine which is 7/8 in.  This
>>gives you more braking power in the rear and the less likely the front
>>wheels will lock.
>>
>>As to why the hand brake is on the left, its obvious.  On hills, you use
>>your left foot for the clutch, right for the brake and gas,  right hand to
>>shift
>>gears, and left hand to work the hand brake.  This leave you free to steer
>>with your teeth.  A great ergonomic design.
>

>Who you calling pansies, we don't need no stinking booster out here man.
>We stop with our feet on the ground like fred flintstone.  This reminds me
>of a story. oh well you guys don't want to hear it I'm sure.
>
>On the brake issue and old mechanic once told me that if you want better
>brakes then you put on a bigger master cylinder.  So the earlier alpine
>brake master cyl.  would make your tiger brakes work much better, without
>the stupid booster.(because it has a bigger bore)  Or you can go to an
>aftermarket master cylinder with a larger bore.  "Pegasus Racing" has them
>in Girling and tilton.  (pegasus@execpc.com) email them for a free catalog.
>
>See ya later, I've got to change my soles.  Armand
>
>ritchie@mcn.org
>Armand & Lorie Ritchie

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com